I mentor a group of aspiring bloggers and one of the hardest things for people starting out is choosing a topic. It’s hard to know where to start, and thinking of an idea for a good blog can be super intimidating. I’ve seen quite a few people get discouraged at this crucial step. One thing that kind of makes me laugh is that most people that create A-list blogs just blog about what they like! Blog about what you like and that’s an order!!!!
The first thing you have to do to choose a topic is get rid of the pressure. Whatever you choose will be great! If you like it, other people will like it too. Instead of trying to choose what topic will work the best, choose the topic you like the best! Once you learn to think that way the ideas will flow like Diet Coke in the nurses lounge.
I’ve learned to think this way, and have thought of so many ideas over the last few years I don’t think I could ever create them all! It’s ironic that I have chosen blogging, internet marketing, and personal development as my primary topics because they are likely the hardest topics to blog about, but that’s what I like and I believe that I will overcome the odds.
Keep those things in mind as you read through my list of ideas for profitable blogs. Feel free to swipe whichever ones you like! Maybe if you take one of my ideas you could at least give me a link-back or $1,000,000 or something.
Here they are, in no particular order:
- Make Money Online. Why not join the party? Everyone else is doing it! Compete against me if you dare. If you do, I’ll swap you a link!
- Investment Strategies. I don’t know a ton about this one but I sure wish that I knew of a really good blog that did!
- Real Estate Investing Ideas – A lot of people are interested in learning about this stuff and no one tells their secrets. Will you?
- Give Basic Computer Lessons. (Please do it now) I know people that I personally would force to go there daily.
- Computer News. One of my best friends spends like 4 hours a day reading this stuff and I always tell him that he would be a millionaire already if he blogged about it.
- Cell Phone News. Instead of continuing to list news ideas, I’ll just say that you could post news about anything. Any niche news site within the electronics field could do really well. Here are a few to get you started: cell phones, gps systems, networking, ipods, the possibilities are endless.
- Teach People How To Use Their Cell Phones. I’m doing a beta testing of this concept right now and the traffic is crazy. Go ahead, do it anyway I really don’t mind competition.
- Teach Computer Programming. I’m not talking about tech mumbo jumbo kind of stuff. Teach it to beginners, people that know nothing.
- Teach People How To Diet. If you taught people how to diet and eat right you would do really well. Most people don’t know the first thing about this area because there are too many misconceptions out there.
- Parenting. I don’t have any kids yet or maybe I would take this one on. I do know that there are a lot of parents in this country and most of them have crazy kids that they would like to do a better job with. You could provide daily tips for how to better talk to your kids, take care of babies, etc.
- Pets. This category could go on and on. You could teach people how to train pets, how to feed their pets the right foods, news, it goes on and on. You could have a blog that shows new little pet toys and gadgets.
- Celebrity Gossip. Go ahead, take this one. I don’t want it anyway. No, I really don’t.
- Politics. I knew a kid that would be a dragon slayer with a political blog. I wish I could get him to set one up.
- Sports. I would love to have a ‘Rome is Burning’ kind of sports site because athletes drive me beserko sometimes. (I’m pretty sure I made the word beserko up. It doesn’t pass my spell check so I’ll take credit.)
- Movies. Wow I just realized my true mission in this world, telling people what movies not to see. I have seen so many stupid movies it’s ridiculous. I guess that’s probably because I’ve seen almost every movie.
- Exercise. This one could be broken down a ton. You could blog about Yoga, Pilates, Nutrition, Weight Training, Fat Loss (Ooooo I bet a fat-loss blog would dominate), Cardio, Muscle Gaining, the possibilities are endless.
- Humor. If you’re funny go after it. Post funny stuff relentlessly. People would hit it like crazy.
- Home Decor. I bet a blog that had daily ideas for decorating your home would be out of this world. Too bad I have the design skill of a first grader. Ladies, jump on that one.
- Books. I would love to review books for a living. If you really like to read this one could be amazing. The revenue streams are endless since you could sell a billion books.
- Travel. Tell people about different places in the world. I don’t even know what places would be the most fun to go to. (I need a vacation.) If you have been to some cool places, let me know!
- Motivation. This is one of the ideas I seriously considered for CourtneyTuttle.com. Everyone needs more motivation! I decided to add it as a category.
- Business. I don’t really care about business news, but I want to know how to run a business. I want to know how to find investors to raise startup funds. I want to know how to pay less taxes with my corporation. That’s the kind of stuff I don’t find. Start a blog like that and I’ll be your biggest fan.
- Cars. Teach people how to do basic things on their cars. Change oil, change tires. I just want to know how to keep my wheels clean! Show people new gadgets they can get for their cars.
P.S. I’ll keep updating this as time goes on. I can’t think of them all right now!